Monday, March 11, 2013

I just watched "The Breakfast Club" today.  In it, Alice says "When you grow up, your heart dies" because they all thought adults were heartless and apathetic.  I thought it was funny because I remember that sentiment, but now I feel that we were all so hormonal.  Now when I see kids I just think they're being insane.  Furthermore, I usually think that a lot of adults are insane and overly sensitive.  In high school we might have considered those same people "robotic" and "heartless."

I enjoyed it.  The movie shows that each person is really a good person at heart, and they would really all get along if the societal barriers (of high school) could be broken down.  It's just all a misunderstanding!  I don't know about all that, but it's true everyone is so focused on their own problems in high school, it's hard to imagine that other people might think you have it easy and that they just don't want to be friends because they think you couldn't relate to their problems.  Even when people accuse each other of being insecure, it doesn't come out of a place of understanding or empathy.  It's more like glee that someone else is insecure.  And actually...adults probably don't act that different, either.  We're just larger, uglier, more stubborn, and more apathetic about what other people think than we used to be.  

No comments: