Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Edumacation

I think that schools should teach kids more about recent history and civic engagement, and give a more honest description of history (not hiding all the ugly parts, maybe some though if its bad for kids or something).

And I've been thinking about what I'd really want to be involved with, and I think it is advocacy of some kind... Sort of like lobbying legislators or else community organizing, or else marketing. I think marketing for bills and causes is a really good idea, and should be more commonplace than it is. Then again, I'm not sure how crowded the media would get. Schools should also teach general life skills, like taxes and finance (insurance, etc.).

Oh yeah, and just for fun... Green up your sex life! Use organic, paraben-free, glycerin-free lube. Here's why.

2 comments:

mirthbottle said...

really great article and very timely

at MIT, I think there is a higher degree of collaboration and interdisciplinary work, especially at some labs that were created to accomodate that. however, in other ways and other departments, people are very specialized.

I, Lynnbot said...

oh yea, the article i posted before. yea i read about MIT turning their intro physics course into more of a small seminar-style, combining lecturing with lab examples, and more focused on individual learning and grasping of the concepts. i thought that was really neat, and was jealous that i wasn't able to get that education. =P