Friday, April 3, 2009

community building

I heard this on npr yesterday. I think this is the closest I've seen to what I mean when I tell people I want to start a commune. Not closing off from society, but still consciously working to live within a shared community. Silly that I haven't thought enough about just starting one where I am and inviting whoever is around. I guess that's kinda the idea behind the weekly dinners, but only for people I know (and like). Maybe that's where communism really goes wrong - when you include people you don't like. I hope this becomes a bigger thing, where it's common for new developments to try to attract people who are interested in living communally. Hopefully more thoughts on this later, with something to be implemented when I get a real job, maybe in Boston this summer! Who wants in on my commune?

here's the official site

ps.. i'm not the only one slacking.. the neighbors are home too! yay lazy friday :]

4 comments:

elpezzz said...

haha, maybe i should have said hi to the neighbor.

Lynn said...

There are a number of developed communes around - Tyler is really into this idea of community living. There is this place in Virginia that has a pretty well-organized community. You can be as plugged into the mainstream as you like; there are communal computers, cars, and communal businesses. And you sign up for work based on labor-credit hours or something. You have to work 42 hours a week, but this includes all sorts of domestic work too - like cooking, cleaning, in addition to working in the businesses or whatever else.

But yeah, that is a little far-fetched for me, but it is a good model to look at. I would like to live in urban communities, where domestic work is shared but people can still have mainstream jobs/careers. And of course the community dinners and activities. I feel like community is missing from my life.

mirthbottle said...

yay commune!!!

although, i guess i live with roommates now whom i share things with.

however, i do wonder how i can stay in a communal situation while still having privacy in the future with a family. maybe i should live in a duplex with another family, haha.

elpezzz said...

that's why i like the idea of a cul de sac, or an apartment building, or just a bunch of friends getting places in the same neighborhood - you have your own space, but you're close enough to cook and build together and have some common space for gardening or art or something.